Letter of Self-Introduction (Edited)



Letter of Self-Introduction (Edited)


Dear Professor Brad

My name is Iskandar and I graduated with a Diploma in Civil & Structural Engineering from Singapore Polytechnic in 2003. I went to Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in 2005 to pursue a degree in civil engineering but had to withdraw in year 2 study due to some unfortunate family crisis. With certifications in several outdoor adventure skills, I have worked as outdoor instructor for land and sea expeditions around West Malaysia. I was also the youngest member of the Singapore Nature Society as a nature guide and that was where I first met my beloved wife during one of my nature guided walk sessions. After that, I joined the Land Transport Authority (LTA) and served 13 years of loyal service. I have been awarded the Engineering Undergraduate Study Award (EUSA) in 2019 from LTA to pursue a degree in civil engineering in Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT).

In LTA Traffic Management Department, my job scope requires active communication and engagements with internal and external parties, sharing traffic assessments, traffic plans and execute the implementation of traffic improvement schemes on sites. I also handle public feedback which requires fast email replies and returned phone calls. With the skills obtained throughout the years of experiences, I have built up my confidence in meeting people and presenting to a large audience, higher management officials and even to government ministers.

Being an officer who actively engages issues at work sites, I must admit that I am still lacking in report and proposal writing skills and I really hope to improve them. I have identified these weaknesses after I experienced several occasions whereby my reports and proposal writings got rejected by my supervisor. I have to go through multiple rounds of amendments to produce a good short and concise write up. I strongly believe that by learning effective communication in SIT as one of the core module will enhance my writing and communication skills, which would be beneficial when I return to LTA.

Thank you for taking the time to read my introduction letter. 



Best regards



Iskandar Bin Khairuldin
(Student ID: 1901562) 
CVE1281 Effective Communication– T5






Comments

  1. Dear Iskandar,

    Your letter was well written and descriptive. I felt that i know a lot about you just by reading. You manage to elaborate your content, giving readers a clearer picture of your background and job scope in LTA.

    It is amazing how you manage to be the youngest member of the Singapore Nature Society. Being the youngest definitely a though experience as majority may question your ability to lead. It would be interesting if you were to share your challenges being the youngest member, especially on how you able communicate or teach people who may be older than you at that point of time.

    Overall, content and structure criteria were met. Hope to read more of your writings in future.

    Regards,
    Ardini

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Iskandar,

    I believe your letter is detailed and concise, with an elegant flow. Given a short blog post, I manage to get an insight of your background and I feel that I know you much better just by reading it.

    The writing style is artistic but in some areas such as "Being an officer whom actively at sites", the grammar can be improved. However, I think you have met the content and objectives of the assignment.

    I look forward to knowing more about you through your blog posts.

    Regards,
    Muhammad Syahmi

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Iskandar,

    Thank you for this highly detailed and informative letter. In it you do a fine job of covering the scope of the touchpoints of the assignment as well as conveying to us readers some sense of what makes you who you are.

    One thing that becomes clear in reading this letter is that having a gentlemen with the breadth of your life and work experience in our group will be a great boon to the would-be engineers in our class. As I read about your wealth of experience, both as a nature guide and as a long-term LTA site supervisor (is this correct?), it also became evident that we can all benefit from your input and feedback.

    Of course, not one of us is ever too experienced to learn, unlearn and relearn, which is one of the strategic DNA of SIT. For that reason, I commend your willingness to put on your study cap again and join a class such as this. With your mentioned module goals in mind, I would like to take note of the following points (some of which were mentioned by the other readers):

    1. word use, phrasing
    -- one of my nature guided walk session > (one of many: requirement for plural) one of my guided nature walk sessions
    -- After which, I joined the Land Transport Authority (LTA) ... > After that, I joined the Land Transport Authority (LTA)
    -- -- Being an officer whom actively at sites, I must admit ... > Being an officer who actively engages issues at work sites, I must admit
    -- after experienced several occasions whereby my reports and proposal writings got rejected by my supervisor. > (Who experienced? Your subordinate clause requires a subject.)
    after I experienced several occasions whereby my reports and proposal writings got rejected by my supervisor.

    -- I have to go > (past or present?)
    -- I strongly believed that > (past or present?)

    2. punctuation, lack of parallel structures and other grammar items
    -- ... my job scope requires active communication and engagements with internal and external parties; sharing traffic assessments, traffic plans and execute implementation of traffic improvement schemes on sites.
    >
    my job scope requires active communication and engagement with internal and external parties, sharing traffic assessments and traffic plans and executing the implementation of traffic improvement schemes on sites.

    -- I also handle public feedbacks which require > (feedback is a non-count noun) I also handle public feedback, which requires

    -- I strongly believed that by learning the effective communication in SIT as one of the core module, it will enhance my writing and communication skills which would be beneficial when I return to LTA.
    >
    I strongly believe that studying effective communication in SIT as one of the core modules will enhance my writing and communication skills, which will be beneficial when I return to LTA.


    The good news is that none of the blogposts are written in stone, and each can be amended after feedback.

    For my part, I look forward to engaging you further and learning from you throughout the rest of the term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Brad

      Thank you for reading through my letter of introduction and I appreciate your comments for me to improve.

      With the recent frequent writing practices in your tutorial classes, It has helped developing interest and understanding on how to summarise with important key points and phrase it correctly.

      Regards

      Iskandar
      (1901562)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the effort, brother. I hope the feedback and the practice are truly helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts